Monday, January 17, 2011

Writing Time

Time, Energy, and Focus...

When I have the time to write, I often lack the focus.
When I have the energy to write, I often lack the time.
When I have the focus to write, I often lack the energy.

So if my blog suffers slightly because of it and I don't have exactly three posts on exactly three topics on exactly Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, it's probably because I'm watching TV with my son and laughing my head off. Or maybe because I'm at gymnastics with my kids AND the grocery store on the same night. Or maybe because I actually ran two miles in the morning and cooked dinner that night.

Whatever the excuse, it's truly not because I don't want to, but the laundry has to be done, the dishes have to be washed, and the bills have to get paid. Shucks, really? I had the whole day off, for once, (and my children had to use today to make up snow days) and I STILL didn't do any writing. Alas, I whine, but the feeling may always be there...that there is never enough time or energy or focus. Mostly time. Then energy. Then focus. But I AM writing now. So right now, I have all three, and that is a good thing.

  • Today's writing tip: Even if it's just TEN minutes, take time to write. (That's how long it took me to write this post.) Maybe fifteen...
  • Today's grain of gratitude: That I had some time alone with my husband. Now I don't feel guilty about taking some time alone to write.

What about you guys? How do you find more time and energy to write?

Keep on keepin' on...

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Christie,

    I should by now have some sort of writing schedule, but I don't. If I'm mid stream in some project, I write like mad. If not, I use whatever time I get, even if I have to postpone bedtime to much later than is practical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is certainly one way to find more time, and I often use it as well. But it sure puts a strain on the energy levels. Schedule or not, we seem to find a few moments in here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly why I've gone back to mainly writing book reviews, as soon as I've read a book I review it while it is fresh in my mind, I love the reading and I have blog post I can schedule in advance. The down side is people might not like just book reviews from me after all the other stuff I've been doing, but as long as I have a little chat with everyone aswell I can't see the problem. It's been a busy month with month of poetry and I will have lots of visitors and travel abroad this year, so it will be interesting what transpires this year. It sure is important to have a life too, like you say. I really enjoyed having friends over at the weekend and going out to the cinema last week, rejuvenation is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say that I like the little "poem stanza" at the top of this blog post. It's so true, you know!

    When I have the time to write, I often lack the focus.
    When I have the energy to write, I often lack the time.
    When I have the focus to write, I often lack the energy.

    I think I'm going to have to write it down somewhere, so I can look at it!


    I also hope you got my email from yesterday!
    Blessings,
    ~ Tarissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good ideas! And don't feel bad if you have to neglect the writing a bit to spend time with the fam... first things first! Besides, think of all the conversations/experiences you have with them to write about later. :) I agree that it's uber-frustrating to NOT have time, energy and focus all line up neatly, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...