Monday, October 24, 2011

Where, oh, where has my little dog gone? (Talent vs. Skill)

Okay, so not really my little dog, but how about my motivation? I skipped TWO posts last week! What's wrong with me? Alas, today is the beginning of a fresh new week. I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes:
"Talent is way down on the list of things you need to write; it comes in a distant fourth, after motivation, discipline, and persistence. And the reason is that "talent" is as common as mud; what's rare is the motivation to sit down and actually do something with it, the discipline to do it regularly, and the persistence to stick with it until it's finished." ~ Patricia Wrede
And another motivational quote:

"Stories are the collective wisdom of everyone who has ever lived. Your job as a storyteller is not simply to entertain. Nor is it to be noticed for the way you turn a phrase. You have a very important job - one of the most important. Your job is to let people know that everyone shares their feelings - and that these feelings bind us. Your job is a healing art, and like all healers, you have a responsibility. Let people know they are not alone. You must make people understand that we are all the same.~ Brian McDonald, The Golden Theme: How to Make Your Writing Appeal to the Highest Common Denominator

The purpose of my blog is two-fold:

  1. To get me to write more, to study more picture books more often, and to have fun by connecting with readers.
  2. To educate, inform, and inspire my readers to learn, grow, and connect. 
One more quote:
Talent alone doesn't get you anywhere - you need hard work, perseverance and patience. Talent without the work is a missed opportunity. Wasted potential. But that's what talent is - potential. ~ Ava Jae
You can read more about that quote in the blog post titled Talent is Overrated at the blog Writeability.

So have a good day, a GREAT week, and fulfill your potential. Go write!

Keep on keepin' on... 

3 comments:

  1. Really wonderful quotes! Very inspiring )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quotes. The Education Tipster and myself appreciate your inspirational musings here and of course, you are entirely correct.
    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic quotes! BIC always wins. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...