Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Do Your Children Know What a Copperhead Snake Looks Like?

Did You Know Copperheads Are Pit Vipers?


I'm writing a book about a boy who loves snakes. So, I have to become an expert too. My husband found this video in an article on USA Today, so I thought I'd share it with you. Even though most people would kill a copperhead in an instant (and I'm no different), they are also "good" snakes because they eat mice and voles.



Art Schaeffer's Nickname is Gleek


Did you know that "gleek" is a verb? It means: to use one's saliva glands to shoot saliva a credible distance, with the intention of hitting someone or something. Also known as "snake spitting." He learned to gleek at a young age, by accident.

Growing up, my brother could always gleek on demand. I never could get it right. Occasionally, I'll accidentally gleek when yawning. What about you? Can you gleek?

Gleek's Pet Snake


In my book, Gleek has a pet snake. I'm thinking of letting it be a common grass snake, either a rough green snake or a smooth green snake. They are smaller, 2-3 feet, and a more shy species that may not like to be handled as much as some other species. But Art likes to hold his snake a lot. Do you have a favorite species? A species suggestion you'd like to see Gleek own?

10 Snake Species That Make Good Pets


Of course, some of the following snakes make better pets than others. If you want a pet snake, do your research. Here's a great site to help you.
  1. Ball Python
  2. Boa Constrictor
  3. Common King Snake
  4. Corn Snake
  5. Garter Snake
  6. Gopher/Bull Snake
  7. Grey-banded King
  8. Hognose Snake
  9. Milk Snake
  10. Mountain King

Have you (or your children) ever owned a pet snake? How long did it live? What did you name it? What kind of snake was it? Share in the comments!

Keep on keepin' on...

BACK TO TOP | READ MORE POSTS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Share your thoughts below.

AddToAny

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...